Dr. ASHOK M SHENOY
MS(AIIMS) ,FRCS (Ed), UICC FELLOW , PGDHHM(IGNOU)
SENIOR CONSULTANT - OTOLARYNGOLOGIST-HEAD &NECK SURGEON
+91 984 505 3809
- Professor Ashok Shenoy, graduated from the Armed Forces Medical College Pune, and completed his post-graduation in Otorhinolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi, India in 1981. He was conferred the Hon. FRCS from Edinburgh, UK in 2000. He has a PG Diploma in Health & Hospital Management.
- He has honed his skills in Laser surgery, Phonosurgery, Skull Base Surgery, Microvascular surgery, Oral Cancer and reconstructive surgery in centers of excellence in USA and Europe. He has also trained in Robotic surgery of Head & Neck in Korea .
- He was trained by Prof Wolfgang Steiner at the University of Gottingen as early as 1988 and commenced transoral laser surgery at his center in the year 1990. Not only as he harnessed CO2 Laser with the first microspot micromanipulator of which there were only 60 pieces made worldwide, but also used this laser extensively in pediatric conditions such as laryngeal papilloma and subglottic stenosis – difficult non-malignant conditions to treat.
- He has written over 80 papers in peer reviewed journals and delivered several guest lectures in national and international conferences. He was the Director and continues to be the Chairman of the Dept. of Head & Neck surgery at the premier regional cancer center in India- Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore since 1988. He is on the board of several organisations including the Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, and is the visiting Faculty to Universities in Italy and Germany. He has been the Principal investigator in several clinical trials.
- His areas of special interest also includes comparative evaluation of Quality of Life after organ preservation protocols vis a vis primary oncosurgical techniques that aim to promote early functional rehabilitation.
- He has trained over 100 fellows since 1990 in the field of head and neck surgical oncology and today runs a structured one and a half years fellowship under the aegis of the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences. In addition several younger genre of head and neck surgeons from the USA , Germany , UK , Nepal and Italy have trained with him from periods of 1month to 6 months .
- Head & Neck Surgery
- Skull Base Surgery
- Laser Microsurgery
- Oral Cancer
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Robotic surgery for Head & Neck Cancers
- Over 80 papers presented in peer reviewed international and national journals
- Chapter on Tumors of the Oropharynx in Textbook of Topical Surgery Ed: Refaat Kamel & John Lumley Westminster Pub Ltd, 2004.
- Chapter on Pediatric Cholesteatoma, 1985. Acron Publishers
- Kamani Charity Trust prize for the year 1984 for the Best Post-graduate student by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, N. Delhi.
- Amaseur Travel Fellowship for the year 1984 by the Association of Otolaryngologist of India
- ICRETT Fellowship for the year 1990 by the Union Internationale Contre Le Cancer, Geneva for Training in Skull Base Surgery at University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Midland Institute Fellowship at The British Academic Congress in Otolaryngology & H/N Surgery, Dublin, Ireland, 1991
- Ratan Tata Travel Fellowship to attend American Head & Neck Society meeting at Toronto, Canada 1996
- ICRETT Fellowship for the year 1998 by the UICC, Genève, as a Visiting Professor for a collaborative project evaluating the Functional Efficacy of Near total laryngectomy at the Dept. of H/N Surgery at Hospital Das Clinics, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Hony. FRCS from the Royal College of Edinburgh, UK in the year 2000 for Professional Excellence and dedicated care of Head & Neck Cancer patients.
- Dr. Abhirlal Mukherjee Oration Sept 2000 West Bengal State AOI Conference, Kolkata, India.
- Foundation Oration: Changing Paradigms in H/N Oncology: Its impact on H/N Ca Management in India, 9th FHNO meeting, Oct 2009 Cochin, India.
- DR.JO.V.DESA Oration Nov 2011 Maharashtra State ENT Conference , Nagpur India " Changing Trends in management of Advanced Laryngeal Cancers"
- Dr. C Das Oration: Management of advanced Laryngeal cancer-from organ preservation to disease control with function restoration Oct 2015: 28th NEBAOICON, Nagaland State, India.
Expert Faculty for Selection Committee
- All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore.
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
- Kidwai Memorial Inst. of Oncology, Bangalore. Established –2001 Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology (FHNO) as Founder Secretary and registered the same under Societies Act of Karnataka.
- FHNO: President 2005-2007.
- FHNO: Governing Council Member: 2007-2010.
- FHNO: Governing Council Chairman: 2010 till date.
Post Graduate Teaching
- MCH Examiner: Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi 2008-09/2011-2014
- Guide: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences
- Fellowship Program of the Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology since 2002
- Guide: Faculty of Oncology, Bangalore University
Clinical Research as Principal Investigator / Co-PI
- Evaluation of Effect of plant extract – Guduchi (Tinospora Chordifolia) in management of advance head and neck cancers – concluded 1988 with publication of internal report. Phase 1 study.
- Multicentric International Phase 3 Randomized Trial of Chemotherapy with or without Panitumumab in patients with metastatic and/or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head & neck. July 2007. Closed.
- BEST Trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of Human Monoclonal Antibody – a Randomised clinical trial - concluded in 2006 Phase 3 study
- Explant culture of tumor cells and testing of molecular profile with respect to sensitivity to commonly used chemotherapeutics as well as antibodies – ongoing project with Mitra Biotech.
- Predicting clinical response to anticancer drugs using an ex vivo platform that captures tumor heterogeneity.
- Member Secretary: KCDF , KMIO Sep 2008-Aug 2009
- Member Secretary: Dharamshala Committee , KMIO Sep 2008-Aug 2009
- Founder Trustee & Member of Suvarna Arogya Suraksha Trust, Govt. of Karnataka (Dept. of Health & Family Welfare) since 2007
- Coordinator: Skull Base Surgical Programme since July 1993.
- Chief Coordinator: Laryngectomee Club of India.
- Chief Coordinator: Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology & National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences Psycho-oncology Project since 1993.
- Chief Investigator: Randomised trial on Organ Preservation Vs Organ Ablative Treatment Strategies in T2/T3
- N+ Piriform sinus cancers: A project sponsored by the Council for Scientific & Industrial Research.
- Governing Council Member – Institute of Speech & Hearing, Bangalore.
- Member –Medical Ethics Committee : Institution Ethics Review Board at Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology since 2015 /li>
- Governing Council Member of Asian Society of Head & Neck Oncology
- Founder Life Member : Indian Academy of Otorhinolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery ( IAOHNS)