The goals of the Division of Infectious Diseases are
- Provide state-of-the-art care that is easily accessible by patients.
- Develop clinical research that improves the standard-of-care for treatment and prevention of infectious diseases in the Indian setting.
- Protect public health from natural and man-made epidemics of infectious diseases.
- Combating antibiotic Resistance in India.
- Provide extensive training and education of medical personnel on various aspects of Infectious Diseases.
The Division of Infectious Diseases deals with the diagnosis and management of a wide variety of infections, Infectious Diseases ( ID) specialists have expertise in infections of the sinuses, heart, brain, lungs, urinary tract, bowel, bones and pelvic organs. Their extensive training focuses on all kinds of difficult to treat infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. ID physicians also specialize in treating patients with infections due to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS. The specialty is involved in providing medical travel advice including immunizations for those going to and returning from exotic destinations.
Infectious diseases specialists play an active role in infection control, antibiotic stewardship and the management of healthcare-associated infections.
The division of infectious diseases at Apollo hospitals is headed by Dr. Purnima Parthasarathy who is the only American board certified infectious diseases physician in clinical practice for the state of Karnataka.
To start a fellowship program with the goal of training outstanding academic physicians in the field of Infectious Diseases.
The Division of Infectious Diseases offers both in-patient and out-patient services.