How should I collect Faeces /Stool Sample?
- Label the container with your surname, first name, date of birth, date/ time and Referring doctor.
- Place plenty of lavatory paper in a clean potty or in the lavatory pan.
- Make sure there is no trace of disinfectant or bleach present, as this will interfere with the test.
Collection of stool
- Faeces (a bowel movement) should then be passed on to the toilet paper
- Open the container.
- Using the little spoon provided, scoop up 2 spoonfuls of faeces.
- Place in the container.
- There is no need to fill the container. Screw the lid firmly back on the container.
- If you have severe diarrhoea or a watery stool, a potty may be needed to collect the initial sample.
- The container with the stool sample should be placed in the plastic bag attached to the form and sealed.
- Flush away the remaining paper and faeces down the lavatory.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Check that the form contains the full name, address and date of birth of the person sampled and add the date the sample was taken.
- Bring the sample into Phlebotomy Reception.
- Results will be available at the report dispatch counter as per the turnaround time given in the directory of services