Dr. Ravindra M. Mehta
MBBS, MD, FCCP
Senior Consultant, Pulmonology, Interventional Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine
+91 802 630 4050
Dr. Ravindra Mehta is an established clinician, researcher, and a teacher in the field of Pulmonology (Respiratory/Chest Medicine), Critical care (Intensive Care)and Sleep Disorders Medicine. Dr. Mehta has an extensive academic training and professional experience, both in India and the USA.
- Dr. Ravindra Mehta did his MBBS from the Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital (University of Mumbai), followed by a MD in Internal medicine (General Medicine) from LokmanyaTilak (Sion) hospital in Mumbai.
- He then proceeded to the United States for further training. He completed a second MD in Internal medicine (General Medicine) from the State University of New York at Brooklyn (Downstate Medical Center).
- In the USA, Dr. Mehta did his fellowship training in multiple fields which includes Pulmonary (Respiratory/Chest) Medicine, Critical Care (Intensive care) medicine, and Sleep Disorders Medicine from Winthrop University Hospital in New York. This was followed by training in Interventional Pulmonology in New York, Boston, and France.
- He has also established a State-Of-The-Art Interventional Pulmonary Program, regarded as one of the leading programs in the country, and the first in Karnataka. This has led to groundbreaking work in Interventional Pulmonology, which has been presented in international American and European meetings.
- He is American Board Certified in the following subspecialties:
1.Diplomat of the American Board of Pulmonary (Respiratory/Chest) Medicine
2.Diplomat of the American Board of Critical Care (Intensive Care) Medicine
3.Diplomat of the American Board of Sleep Medicine
4.Diplomat of the American Association of Sleep Medicine
5.Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine (General Medicine)
- Pulmonary Medicine, Interventional Pulmonology
- Critical Care Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
Books & Chapter
1.Mehta R, Niederman MS. Acute infectious pneumonia.Irwin &Rippe’s Intensive Care Medicine, 5th Ed, 796-816. Rewritten 6th Edition
2.Mehta R, Niederman MS. Antibiotic Resistance in the Intensive Care Unit. Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Med., Springer Verlag 2001; 151-161
3.Mehta R. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. “Head and Neck Disorders” Orient Longman, India.
Publications & Reviews
- Mehta R, Niederman MS. Adequate empirical therapy minimizes the impact of diagnostic methods in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia. Crit Care Med 2000; 28,8: 3092-3094.
- Mehta R, Niederman MS et al. Natural history and variability of respiratory isolates and antibiotic susceptibility in a medical ICU. Chest 2000; 118, 4 (Suppl): 178S3.
- Mehta R, Weinstein MD et al. Rapid Eye Movement-specific Obstructive Sleep Apnea: a demographically and clinically distinct subset of patients with sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep 2000; 23, 2:A78-79
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure in Heart Failure with Cheyne-Stokes Respiration and Central Sleep Apnea- an important factor influencing mortality. ClinPulm Med 2000; 7,6: 344-345
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Invasive or Non-invasive management of suspected Ventilator- Associated Pneumonia ? - An old controversy revisited. ClinPulm Med 2000; 7,5: 277-279
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Non-Invasive Ventilation: An alternative to prolonged intratracheal intubation in Acute-on-Chronic Respiratory Failure. ClinPulmMed 2000; 7,2: 107-108
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Severe Community Acquired Pneumonia needingMechanical Ventilation: What determines Prognosis? ClinPulm Med 2000; 7,4: 214-215
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Making breathing easier: Does Tracheotomy decrease the work of Breathing in Ventilator-Dependent patients? ClinPulm Med 2000; 7,1: 62-63
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Antibiotic restriction and rotation for Ventilator-associated Pneumonia-does it make a difference? ClinPulm Med 2001; 8,1: 55-56
- Mehta R, Groth ML. A better mode of ventilation in patients with acute hypercapnicCOPD exacerbations and Acute Cardiogenic Pulmonary Edema.ClinPulm Med 2001; 8,3: 188-190
- Mehta R, Groth ML. A Novel Therapy for Sleep Apnea in patients with Chronic Renal Failure on Hemodialysis.ClinPulm Med 2001; 8,4: 253-254
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Initial vasopressor for cardiac arrest: vasopressin orepinephrine? ClinPulm Med 2001; 8,6: 366-67
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Clinical application of a prognostic model for severe CAP. Chest 2001; 119: 312-313.
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Prognostic importance of CPAP in patients with CHF and Cheyne Stokes Respiration-Central Sleep Apnea. Circulation 2001; 103: e121
- Mehta R, F Gress, J Ilowite et al. Role of Endoscopic Esophageal Ultrasound Guided Fine Needle Aspiration (EUS-FNA) in the diagnosis of Sarcoidosis. Am J of Resp. & Crit. Care Med. 2001;163, 5: A558
- Mehta R, O Radu, Pollack S, Niederman MS, MD. Natural Variability of Respiratory Pathogens and Antibiotic Sensitivity in a Medical Intensive Care Unit.Am J of Resp. & Crit. Care Med 2001; 163, 5:A929.
- Alobeidy S, Mehta R ,Niederman MS. Etiology and Outcome of Hemoptysis in patients on Anticoagulation Therapy. Am J of Resp.& Crit. Care Med 2001; 163, 5: A65
- Mehta R, Groth ML. How Common is the “Classical” Presentation of Narcolepsy in Clinical Practice? Sleep 2001; 24: A31119.
- Mehta R, Weinstein MD. Is a History of Hypothyroidism a Risk Factor forObstructive Sleep Apnea.Sleep 2001; 24: A326-27
- Mehta R, Lazar J, Hurewitz AN.EKG characteristics reliably distinguish between pre-capillary and post-capillary pulmonary hypertension. Chest 2001; 120, 4 (Suppl), 196S.
- Mehta RM, Radu OA et al. The Impact of Vancomycin usage on subsequent patterns of Gram-positive resistance. Am J of Resp.& Crit. Care Med 2001; 167, 7:A559
- Mehta R, Groth ML, Weinstein MD. Clinical characteristics of the Nocturnal Sleep-related Eating syndrome. Sleep 2002; 25: A485
- Mehta R, Niederman MS. Nosocomial Pneumonia. CurrOpin in Infect Dis 2002;15: 387-394
- Mehta R, Groth ML. A Study of Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in the Intensive Care Unit: lessons learnt from screening and genotyping. ClinPulm Med2002
- Mehta R, Groth ML. Antibiotic rotation: A simple solution for antibiotic resistance in the intensive care unit. ClinPulm Med 2002; 9, 4: 242-243
- Radu OA, Kudalkar DP, Mehta RM et al. Antibiotic Usage and Respiratory Pathogens resistance Pattern in an ICU.Am J of Resp.& Crit. Care Med 2003; 167, 7:A562
- Mehta RM, Niederman MS. Nosocomial pneumonia in the Intensive Care Unit. J Int. Care Med. 2003; 18,4.
- Mehta RM, Beal A. Targeting comprehensive outcomes in Intensive Care and beyond: a holistic paradigm. Chest- Pulmonary Perspectives Jun 2004; 21,2: 7-10
- 29. Ravindra M. Mehta, Alice Beal.A New Look at Endocrinopathy of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock. Chest- Pulmonary Perspectives Dec 2005; 22, 4
- M.D. Cohen, Mehta RM, M. Cutaia. Combined Accelerometry and AmbulatoryOximetry Monitoring: A New Approach To Quantify Hypoxemia and Activity in COPD Patients. Proc. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2005; 2: A652
- Cohen Miriam D., PawaSakshi, Mehta Ravindra, et al. Ambulatory Monitoring of Oximetry and Activity in Patients with Advanced Lung Disease: A New Approach to Optimize Long-term Oxygen Therapy. Chest 2005 128: 158S-a
- Varghese Sholu, Cohen Miriam D., Mehta Ravindra, CutaiaMichael"Dipper or Persister?" Duration of desaturation is more relevant than severity forfunctional performance in COPD. Chest 2006 130: 98S-c-99
- Cohen M, Mehta R, Cutaia M. Activity/Oxygen Profile in Patients with Chronic Lung Disease. Proc. Am. Thorac. Soc. Apr 2006; 3: A318
- Ravindra Mehta, MichealCutaia. The role of interventional pulmonary procedures in the management of post-obstructive pneumonia.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2006; 8(3):207-14
- R.M. Mehta, A. Aneja, R. Sahni. Antibiotic Resistance in the ICU.Neth J Crit Care 2007; 11, 2: 72-80
- Vanthanh Ly, Ravindra Mehta, Andrew Seymour, Michael Cutaia. Multicentric granular cell tumor complicated by tracheobronchial obstruction. Journal of Bronchology 2007; 14,4: 269-71
- MuraliChakravarthy, PadmajaKamble, KadapaSatish, Ravindra Mehta, et al. Spontaneous Respiration for endoscopic cauterization and stenting of a tracheal tumour using thoracic epidural anesthesia. J CardiothoracVascAnesth 2008: 22,6: 822-824
- Mehta Ravindra.,Reyas A.K., SrinivasanLakshmipriya et al Medical Thoracoscopy in an effective treatment Modality for the Treatment of LoculatedEmoyema.Chest 2009;136: 46S
- Mehta Ravindra, KasargodChethan, Reddy Prabhakar. Treatment of Recurrent Spontaneous Pneumothorax by Pleuroscopic Talc Pleurodesis with Conscious Sedation.Chest 2009;136: 46S
- Tauro D, Roy S, K Madhusudhan, Ravindra Mehta. Extracorporeal Membrance Oxygenation (ECMO) for amlodipine overdose: A life saving intervention. Chest 2009: 136: 37S-38.
- MuralidharRamchandra T., DeshpandeShrikant, Ramachandran Deepak, Mehta Ravindra M. Cardiac Bypass Erythroderma. Chest 2009:136: 45S-e-46
- Murlidhar TR, Sanchayan R, Ramachandran D, Deepak T, Ravindra Mehta, Critically ill patients with H1NI pneumonia/ALI - The Indian experience. Abstract accepted at ERS 2010
- Ravindra Mehta, Muralidhar T R, Sathish K S.Innovative and unconventional methods for the management of massive hemoptysis: A novel approach. Abstract accepted at ERS 2010
- Lakshmipriya S, Rajani S.B, Ravindra Mehta. A Rare Case of Primary Pleural Synovial Sarcoma. Chest October 2010 138:4
- Ravindra Mehta, L.B.Arjun, S Lakshmi Priya, Reddy P, et al. Complex TBNA’ – Prevalence and diagnostic yield in a referral population. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2010;181: A5152.
- Ravindra M, Nidhi G, et al. Non-Real-Time CT-Guided TBNA/TBB – A novel of increasing diagnostic yield in TBNA and TBB. Chest 2010;138:4
- KalpanaBabu, RaghuvirKini, Ravindra Mehta. Scleral Nodule and BilatealDisc Edema as a Presenting Manifestation of Systemic Sarcoidosis. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation 2010; 18 (3): 158-161
- Deepak Tauro, Ravindra Mehta, MadhusudanKalluraya. What looks like Sepsis, but is not Sepsis: Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome. IJCCM Jan 2011 Vol 15: Supplement 1; S16
- Ravindra Mehta, Arjun L.B, Kalpana B, et al. Oculo-Pulmonary Syndromes –AScientific approach to diagnosis. Chest2011:140:4
- Ravindra Mehta, A. Singla, A. L Balaji et al.Conventional TBNA In The Era Of EBUS - "Not A Lost Art".Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2012;185: A3001
- A L Balaji, Ravindra Mehta, Abhinav S. A Large Posterior Tracheal Wall TearManaged By Silicone Stenting: An Out-Of-The-Box Solution To A Life-ThreateningInterventional Pulmonary (IP) Problem. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2012;185:A5187
- KalpanaBabu, RaghuvirKini, Ravindra Mehta et al. Predictors for Tubercular Uveitis: A Comparison Between Biopsy-Proven Cases of Tubercular and Sarcoid Uveitis. Retina 2012; 32,5: 1017 -1020
- American College Chest Physicians.
- Indian Association of Bronchology.
- American Thoracic Society.
- Indian Chest Society.
- Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- Indian Association of Allergy/Immunology.
- Karnataka Medical Council, India.